July 12, 2013
Our tippy assam makes great masala chai, perfect for summer days -ahh!
2 TBL spoons zakti Mangalam Estate Superb Tippy Assam
4 whole cloves
2 cardamom pods
1 cinnamon stick, broken into pieces
3 cups water
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1/8 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
1/2 cup whole, almond or soy milk
1 TBL spoon unbleached granulated sugar or 3/4 TBL agave nectar
1. In a mortar, crush the cloves, cardamom pods and cinnamon or use a grinder
2. Transfer the crushed spices to a small saucepan, add the water, ginger and pepper and bring to a boil.
3. Remove the pan from the heat, cover and let steep for 5 minutes.
4. Add the milk and sugar / agave to the pan and bring to a boil.
5.Remove from the heat and add the tea.
6. Cover and let steep for 3 minutes.
7. Stir the chai, then strain it into a warmed teapot or directly into teacups.
8. Garnish with cinnamon bark / stick and fresh mint